Saturday, November 18, 2006

Long Term Value

Welcome to Sham Gad on Value Investing: Inspirations from Ben Graham, Warren Buffett, and Mohnish Pabrai. This is my blank canvas. My goal is to periodically paint strokes on this canvas as I pursue my lifetime goal of running Gad Investment Partners, a private investment partnership modeled after the original Buffett partnerships that begin in 1956.


According to Warren Buffett, the most important skill an investor needs to possess is temperament. Charlie Munger has said that "all intelligent investing is value investing." I first heard about Warren Buffett in 1994 when I was 15. After reading Roger Lowenstein's biography on Buffett and Graham's "The Intelligent Investor," I became a student of value investing almost religiously. I say almost because I encountered a few slip ups early in my investing endeavors. Fortunately for me, these mistakes occurred early in my life with the little savings I had.

Sometimes the best investment strategy is to have no strategy at all. Valuable lessons can be learned from observing successful long-term investors. This group includes the original master craftsmen (this is certainly not a complete list), Buffett, Munger, Bill Ruane, Christopher Brown, Walther Schloss and their disciples: Joel Greenblatt, Mohnish Pabrai, Bruce Berkowitz and Eddie Lampert.


Sincerely,

Sham Gad

No comments: